Monday, January 16, 2012

Overwhelmed & Under-appreciated

As I reflect on my college years a few phrases stick out to me.  Some made me think more than others, but there is one in-particular I want to talk about today.  The saying goes something like this "The best trick the evil one has is to make you think he doesn't exist".  Sometimes it takes on this form "God is to loving for there to really be a hell."  Scripture makes it clear that there is a place set aside for the accursed (Matthew 25:41...along with many other references). In youth ministry I think this lie takes on a very unique form: "I'm overwhelmed & under-appreciated; nothing I do really makes a difference." This lie gives into doubt, despair, & loneliness...if what your doing didn't make a difference then why do so many priest, religious sisters & brothers, and holy marriages credit solid foundations as the reason for their solid vocation.  Yes, there are many sources for a solid foundation: religious education, a good family life, and good friends just to name a few.  I know for me in my life youth ministry served as the beginning of this solid foundation.

I think youth ministry serves as a great foundation because it aims to love no matter what the circumstances whether at youth group, on retreat, during sacrament prep., over a cup of coffee, at a game, in a hospital, or any where else.  Having a primary aim to love no matter what the circumstances are serves as the pivotal point of how ministry makes a huge difference.   You can't plant seeds in a field that isn't plowed.  Well you can but it won't be very effective.  Love, even when it's rejected, serves as the plow preparing the ground of the heart for the truth of the Gospel message.  So that the truth can take real roots.  This means that sometime the strength of the plant (faith) isn't seen for some time...

So I guess the point of this post is to say that if LOVE is the center of ministry then it is working no matter how much the evil one wants you to think otherwise.  We have to have faith (Hebrews 11:1) in Him who guides our life and trust that He makes all things work for good for those that love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment